Highlights of Bhutan
Small group tour
10 days -
Shadowed by snow-capped Himalayan peaks, the Land of the Thunder Dragon elicits visions of a Shangri-la perched on the top of the world. Visit ancient fortresses, temples, monasteries and traditional villages amidst the spectacular Himalayas. Experience the colour and excitement of one of Bhutan's famous festivals. Trek to the Tiger's Nest Monastery and admire stunning views.
- 9 nights hotel/lodge accommodation
- lunch and dinner daily
- transport in air-conditioned vehicles
- small group touring
- entrance fees
- Western tour leader based on a minimum of 7 travellers
- local English-speaking guides
- Bhutan visa
- return transfers.
Prices and Departures
Small Group Tour Itinerary
DAYS 1-2: THIMPU
This morning arrive in Paro, your gateway to Bhutan. Meet your local guide and Western tour leader and transfer to the capital of Thimpu. Here, see the Memorial Chorten on a fascinating walking tour and wander the weekend markets. Visit the National Institute of Traditional Medicine and the Folk Heritage and National Textile Museums before a visit to the spectacular Tashi Cho Dzong, the town's imposing fortress and seat of the King. Visit a sanctuary for the nation's national animal, the bizarre Takin, and a large Buddha statue above town.
Note: Departures during the Thimpu festival focus on festival activities on these days.
Hotel: Jomolhari Hotel (or similar)
DAYS 3-6: PUNAKHA & TRONGSA
The stunning drive to Punakha crosses the spectacular Dochu La pass, and allows time to stop for a walk in a traditional village to the Divine Mad Man's Temple. In Punakha, enjoy a riverside walk to the magnificent Punakha Dzong, widely considered to be Bhutan's most beautiful fort. Crossing into Eastern Bhutan by road, traverse the picturesque Pele La, on your way to Trongsa. Visit the majestic Trongsa Dzong, former home of the Bhutanese royals, and the watchtower that houses a royal museum. Enjoy an afternoon exploring the market area or wander back to the hotel for some relaxation.
Hotel: Drupchu Hotel (or similar)
Hotel: Tashi Ninjay Hotel (or similar)
DAYS 7-10: PARO
Drive to Paro, stopping for lunch in Thimpu. Time permitting, visit the Paro Rinpung Dzong and National Museum. The next day, those able to climb will trek to the Tiger's Nest goemba or Takhtsang, one of Bhutan's best known attractions. If you are here during the Paro festival, spend a full day enjoying the festivities of this exciting event. Otherwise, a visit to Chele La, Bhutan's highest pass affords incredible scenery of the Haa and Paro Valleys below. Enjoy an early breakfast before your departure transfer for your onward flight.
Hotel: Khangkhu Resort (or similar)
* From prices subject to availability and subject to change. Prices may fluctuate if surcharges, fees, taxes or currency change. Amounts payable to third parties not included. Airfares not included unless otherwise specified. Agents may charge service fees and/or fees for credit card payments which vary. Please check all prices, availability and other information with your travel consultant before booking. If you book with Insider Journeys an additional 2% fee applies to credit card or charge card payments (except in North America, where no fee is charged). Insider Journeys general booking conditions apply click here.