Highlights of Bhutan with Jambay Lakhang Festival
Small group tour
13 days -
Shadowed by snow-capped Himalayan peaks, the Land of the Thunder Dragon elicits visions of a Shangri-la perched on the top of the world. Visit ancient fortresses, temples, monasteries and traditional villages amidst the spectacular Himalayas. Experience the colour and excitement of one of Bhutan's famous festivals, Jambhay Lakang. Trek to the Tiger's Nest Monastery and explore the ancient capitals of Paro and Punakha.
- 12 nights hotel/lodge accommodation
- lunch and dinner daily
- transport in air-conditioned vehicles
- small group touring
- entrance fees
- Western tour leader based on a minimum of 7 travellers
- local English-speaking guides
- Bhutan visa
- return transfers.
Prices and Departures
Small Group Tour Itinerary
DAYS 1-2: THIMPU
This morning arrive in Paro, your gateway to Bhutan. Meet your local guide and Western tour leader and transfer to the capital of Thimpu. Here, see the Memorial Chorten on a fascinating walking tour and wander the weekend markets. Visit the National Institute of Traditional Medicine and the Folk Heritage and National Textile Museums before a visit to the spectacular Tashi Cho Dzong, the town's imposing fortress and seat of the king. Visit a sanctuary for Bhutan's bizarre national animal, the Takin, and a large Buddha statue above town.
Hotel: Jomolhari Hotel
DAYS 3-6: PUNAKHA & TRONGSA
The stunning drive to Punakha crosses the spectacular Dochu La pass, and allows time to stop for a walk in a traditional village to the Divine Mad Man's Temple. In Punakha, enjoy a riverside walk to the magnificent Punakha Dzong, widely considered to be Bhutan's most beautiful fort. Crossing into Eastern Bhutan by road, traverse the picturesque Pele La, on your way to Trongsa. Visit the majestic Trongsa Dzong, former home of the Bhutanese royals, and the watchtower that houses a royal museum. Enjoy an afternoon exploring the market area or wander back to the hotel for some relaxation.
Hotel: Drupchu Hotel (or similar)
Hotel: Tashi Ninjay Hotel (or similar)
DAYS 7-8: BUMTHANG
The Jambay Lakhang festival is one of Bhutan's most important, enlivening the region with its vibrant colours and atmosphere. Take in the festivities and interact with the many locals that gather to celebrate. Visit the delightful hillside village of Prakar and if dates coincide, its more intimate festival. Touring will be tailored to ensure you get the most out of the festival events on these days.
Hotel: Yu-Gharling Resort
DAYS 9-13: PUNAKHA & PARO
Enjoy the leisurely drive back to Punakha and rest for the night, before continuing to Paro, stopping for a delicious lunch in Thimpu. Visit the Paro Rinpung Dzong and National Museum. The next day, those able to climb can trek to the celebrated Tiger's Nest goemba or Takhtsang, one of Bhutan's best known attractions. The trek is around two hours uphill, but fantastic views of the monastery can be seen from halfway, and for those not wishing to undertake the trek, monastery touring can be arranged. A visit to Chele La, Bhutan's highest pass affords incredible scenery of the Haa and Paro Valleys below. Enjoy an early breakfast before your departure transfer for your onward flight.
Hotel: Drupchu Hotel
Hotel: Khanghku Resort
* From prices subject to availability and subject to change. Prices may fluctuate if surcharges, fees, taxes or currency change. Amounts payable to third parties not included. Airfares not included unless otherwise specified. Agents may charge service fees and/or fees for credit card payments which vary. Please check all prices, availability and other information with your travel consultant before booking. If you book with Insider Journeys an additional 2% fee applies to credit card or charge card payments (except in North America, where no fee is charged). Insider Journeys general booking conditions apply click here.